The Olfactometer TO8 consists of the following units::
- Sampling systems of the volatile fraction
- The "Olfactometer TO8" unit with automatic dilution system
- Data processing software.
The smell is a subjective sensation perceived differently by each individual as regards both the intensity and the olfactory stimulus. The chemical-analytical study, while allowing the recognition of single volatile compounds responsible for the odor, fails to provide information about the olfactory impact produced by the mixture. Currently, the sensory measurement techniques based on olfactometry are recognized a valuable tool for the quantification of odors. The implementation of olfactometric measures allows to quantify in an objective and reproducible way how much odor is emitted from a source. The objectivity of the results is assured by compliance with European Standard EN 13725, which guarantees the achievement of the same results by laboratories that apply it. The analysis by dynamic olfactometry offers the advantage of expressing the concentration and flow of odor of a source in a similar way that is perceived by the human nose, regardless of chemical composition. It is achieved by subjecting the odorous samples to the evaluation of a panel of people selected according to the criteria set out in EN 13725. Each complete test is performed by eight evaluators and repeated three times in order to have sufficient data to allow statistical analysis of the results. The type of response provided by the members of the panel is yes/no, since it requires the answer to the question whether or not you feel the smell. The concentration of odor emissions is calculated by determining the dilution factor at the threshold of perception: the sample initially diluted with neutral air to levels not perceptible by human smell is always more enriched and subjected to the evaluation of the panel members. The odor threshold is the dilution factor for which the air sample is perceived as smell with a probability of 50% by the evaluation committee.
- Assess the odor concentrations emitted by plants source of olfactory harassment
- Evaluate the efficiency of the abatement equipment
- Evaluate the good performance of the treatment processes
- Provide background information to the control bodies
- Give advice in legal proceedings.
- Number of seats: 4
- Number of pumps for dilution system: 2
- Range of dilution: 1:65000 - 1:4
- Location: Laboratory of sensory characterization - ProdAl